Frequently Asked Questions
Q & A
- For how many years has HOMBURG been building Drain Cleaners?
- In the early 1980’s HOMBURG started developing and manufacturing Drain Cleaners. All the components are made, assembled and tested in Stiens. To date, approximately four thousand units have been built.
- Can I still buy spare parts for my 1980 machine?
- In principle any spare parts are still available.
- What is the capacity?
- It takes approximately 20 minutes to clean a 200 m drainpipe.
- What is the amount of water needed?
- As a rule of thumb about 70 – 80 litres a minute; for a 200 m pipe, that is approximately 1500 litres of water.
- I have no water tank; can I use ditch water instead?
- De HOMBURG Drain Cleaners come with a membrane pump, in which the moving parts are separated from the water. The machine comes standard with a suction hose and filter, so using water from the ditch is no problem.
- I’ve lost my manual; what can I do?
- Manuals in four languages are available for downloading from our site. At your request we can also send you a CD ROM with all the information you may need.
- What kind of tractor will I need?
- n principle any small tractor able to lift the machine will suffice; the water pump requires little horsepower and the hydraulic system requires no more than 10 litre of oil a minute.
- Wouldn’t it be better to use high pressure?
- Absolutely not. From scientific research we know that high pressure is causing damage to the area surrounding the drainpipe, resulting in a tremendous loss of effectiveness. In conjunction with the Drainage Research Institute in Egypt, the ILRI drafted a report comparing the effectiveness and costs.
- Will cleaner drainage give better results?
- No doubt about it. Official research in Slovakia has shown that the yield from land with well-maintained drainage is substantially higher than from land where drainage has been neglected.
- Are Drain Cleaners used in the Netherlands only?
- No, drainage is used all over the world. HOMBURG machines are sold worldwide. As well as to just about every European country, HOMBURG exports Drain Cleaners to India, Colombia, Syria, New Zealand, USA, Japan, Taiwan and the former Soviet states, to name but a few.
- Does HOMBURG have the expertise to supply machines to any country?
- Yes, thanks to many years of experience in many countries and under many different circumstances, HOMBURG is able to give instruction at any location.